Pre-heat the oven 320ºF/160ºC/gas mark 3 and prepare your cupcake pans. Set aside and make the chocolate ganache.
120g plain chocolate, chopped (min. 53% cocoa)
275g light brown sugar
95g unsalted butter, softened
2 (free range) large eggs
170g plain flour
pinch of salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking of soda
6g cocoa powder
1 large mango (peeled & grated)
5 tbsp apricot preserve
150g physalis (20g juiced)
The ganache Frosting:
265ml whipping cream
340g chocolate (minimum 53% cocoa solids)
in button form or chopped
The Decoration: Place a physalis on top of each cupcake for final decoration.
1. Place the chocolate, milk, and half the sugar in a saucepan and gently bring to a boil while stirring.
2. Cream the butter and the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy (at least 5 minutes). Lightly beat the eggs together then slowly mix into the butter mixture, making sure they don’t curdle.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa together, and then add them to the butter mixture in two batches. Mix slowly until just combined.
4. Slowly add the hot chocolate mixture into the batter and mix. Scrape the bowl down with a spatula to make sure it’s well combined. The batter should be liquidy.
5. Add the peeled mango & half of the physalis juice. Mix slowly with a spatula/spoon until combined & the mango evenly distributed. Poor the remaining physalis juice & mix slowly until thoroughly combined.
6. Pour into the cases so they’re 2/3 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes fully cool before icing and decorating.
Once cooled, spread a small dollop of apricot preserve on top of each cupcake.
1, Pour the cream in a saucepan and bring to a bare simmer.
2, Place the chocolate and glucose into a bowl and pour the hot cream over. Whisk together until silky smooth!
3, When combined leave it to set at room temperature. The ganache should have a soft butter like consistency.
4, Allow to chill until set before piping otherwise it will be slightly runny.
5, Pipe onto cupcakes as desired & have fun!
By Cheryl Harper Wilson from – Riviera Couture Cake Company